Skip to main content

New Things

She was always afraid to change.
She never wanted to get out of her comfort zone, as I'd try to kindly point out to her every now and then. She was afraid of adjusting to things that seemed new to her. She never was a risk taker; She hated taking risks; she even didn't want to fall in love in the first place. Failure was like dying to her.
But we all have to change and adjust to those changes sooner or later; life forces us to do so whether we like it or not. Everyone fails and falls somewhere along the road - it's getting up that matters.
She approached me one night under the impression that she might engage me in a "Socratic dialogue," some what-not thing she learned from one of her Education classes. She said that her professor said that Plato believed the mind was separate from the body - that it was a different entity than the physical self. The mind, or soul, enters the body at the time of birth - where the brain is already filled with all the knowledge it can possibly hold. Plato believed that when you "learn", you are actually just remembering those things that are deep in your subconscious, waiting to be woken up by some kind of trigger. "That's where the 'Socratic dialogue' comes in," she said. You engage a person in a helpful debate to stimulate the brain to arrive at what you want to drive into that person's mind, or "what you want them to remember."
So we talked. She went on and on about her supposed fears and woes, and we discussed the seeming reasons behind them. We talked and talked and talked until she couldn't ask anymore; we talked until we arrived at that particular spot I've pointed out to her so many times.
Finally, she realized that there was nothing to fear; that she was just being silly.
I guess I'm relieved. And I'm enjoying the new her: more perky, more of a risk-taker, (although moderation and caution are always key) and not afraid anymore. Well, at least less afraid than before. But it's a start, right? And a wonderful one at that. You've got to start at something to get a move on in life. It may be a cliche that the biggest room in the world is the room for improvement, but that doesn't mean that it isn't true.
Cheers to us then, and to hell with everyone else.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Rest for the Damned

I stare at the blinking cursor in front of me and wonder what’s next. I let myself get swallowed up by the monotony of office life: wake up, eat, travel, work, sleep; I try to revel in its off-white walls and the cacophony of voices that course through my head like nails scratching a blackboard. Funny, that word – blackboard – like my mood, black and bored, or better yet, like me – a black board. But the human tendency for self-preservation drives me to find things to fill the void; sometimes with fleeting trifles I try in vain to attach meanings to, or sometimes with things intangible and profound, like hope, or faith. But it seems that there is no rest for the dammed. Damned by the reminders of past mistakes, damned by the hollow tedium of today, and damned by the uncertainty of what lies ahead. Or it could be that I’m really just bitter, as someone pointed out not so long ago. Not a bad conclusion, really, with me allowing myself to be consumed by memories of failure, or by the bana

Strange tales

I am aimlessly wandering through cyberspace, looking for things to help pass the time - browser games, blogs, poems, manga - waiting for the dismissal bell to ring. Deadline's almost over, and all that's left to do are some late revisions. Two days more 'til Friday. Yes, I am counting, and I am looking forward to doing something different for a change. Something to break the sad, bland routine of my life. I say thanks in advance to that brave soul who's never seen me but was nice enough to agree to wait an extra four hours just to watch a movie with me. Just please, please, please don't kill me. ----------- How's this for strange: along my boredom-induced travels in the web, I have met someone who's almost completely like S - entirely by accident. I meant to never write anything - even the smallest thing - about her ever again, but this is just too richly entertaining to pass up. They look the same, think the same, were born the same month, have almost the

Judge the movie by its trailer

I am totally beside myself after watching the trailer for Ghost Rider . Never mind the technical errors such as Blackheart being described as "the son of the devil himself" - when he's just Mephisto's son, or that a part of the trailer that is - if I'm not mistaken - grammatically incorrect, or at least could be written better. I still can't wait to see the 1337 leather jacket and 1337 chain, the 1337 bike, and the h0t Eva Mendes. The flaming skull-head could use a bit more work though. Nevertheless, I'm quite sure that I'm going to be one of those lining up to see it come February next year. On a different note, The Devil Wears Prada looks quite promising. Meryl Streep as a soft spoken (in the trailer, at least) but very b*tchy cutthroat EIC for a fashion magazine and Anne Hathaway as her un-fashionable assistant might be the low-of-lows plot wise, but it's the possibility of great, not to mention amusing, perfomances from the actors that I