Skip to main content

(Un)Catholic Thoughts

I have recently discovered that I like house blessings. We recently moved to a new office last Friday, and besides being (rudely) sprinkled (splashed) by "holy" water by the officiating priest several times, I was quite surprised that I kinda liked the whole thing after all. Well of course, I didn't hold a candle or recite their mantra-like "prayers", but I am proud to have been an active participant in the hearty merienda or arrozcaldo, biko and lumpia that followed after, and the part where someone tosses out coins and candy. Screw the candy, I went straight after the money. Hmm... so that's why somebody passed around a plastic bag where everyone had to put in coins. I thought it was for a contribution or something. So, in this paagaw, I was able to make the one peso I put into the bag become 15 pesos! My chinese grandfather would have been proud.

But my love for the Catholic er... stuff stops there. The whole religion scares the living daylights out of me. All those imposing cathedrals and those images that look like they'd like to eat your liver if you don't listen to the priest. Just thinking about it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up already. And those big crusifixes; I don't think that Jesus really looked like some deranged creature from the ninth level of hell that looks like it wants to run down from the cross and choke you to death and eat you liver. How can you listen to a homily on the compassion and suffering of Christ when there's a big wooden guy on the cross in front of you who seems to be saying, "I'm going to eat your liver" over and over again? I'm sure the real Jesus Christ had a kind and compasionate face and just pretty much looked like your average Israelite, and not like, you know, some fiendish hellspawn looking for something to devour.

So, to those guys who make all those "things", I think you'd be better off doing something for the next "Shake, Rattle, and Roll" movie. Or maybe you guys could try your hand at something for "Nginig" or "Wag Kukurap." You'd probably make much more money there, too.

Comments

Jonette said…
Honestly, I found all this quite funny. I hope you don't mind. *sheepish grin*

In lieu of the Filipino Catholic penchant of cricifixes, I remember a comment my Dad made on the movie The Passion of the Christ". Another way of looking at the movie would be how might people of other releigions take it, like Buddhists, or Hindus? Remember the issue that people were saying it was too violent? Mym dad said it would probably be much like walking into a temple and seeing a holy image of a person stretched out on a rack or an electric chair.

With this in mind, we end up thinking, ang hilig kasi ng Katolikong Pilipino sa traditional doctrine: that suffering is good, it brings you closer to God, etc, etc. But then again, what happened to Liberative Doctrine, that Christ has risen from the dead,and all that? We still have to remember that most of Catholic Filipinos still have to hear of the new doctrine, considering they've clung to the old ways for so long. They've practically grown, and grown comfortable with it.

Well, that's one way to look at it... Anyway.

It's understandable how Catholicism can scare the bejeezus out of a person. (No pun intended.) Well, the view from inside is definately different from the view outside. :)
Tim said…
actually, im not catholic. im a born again christian. ^_^ and what your saying's true even in non-catholic religions, like mine. there's this thread in peyups.com where some asks, "Does religion promote bigotry?" i said, "it isnt meant to, but sadly, it does." i believe Jesus never meant to discriminate anyone from becoming a believer, but most religious people nowadays tend become too attached to doctrine and rules that they fail to realize that Christ came to save and liberate everyone, because everyone had become too attached to rules and tradition.

and im glad you fond it funny. and i was starting to think that only my girlfriend found me funny. ^_^

Popular posts from this blog

No Rest for the Damned

I stare at the blinking cursor in front of me and wonder what’s next. I let myself get swallowed up by the monotony of office life: wake up, eat, travel, work, sleep; I try to revel in its off-white walls and the cacophony of voices that course through my head like nails scratching a blackboard. Funny, that word – blackboard – like my mood, black and bored, or better yet, like me – a black board. But the human tendency for self-preservation drives me to find things to fill the void; sometimes with fleeting trifles I try in vain to attach meanings to, or sometimes with things intangible and profound, like hope, or faith. But it seems that there is no rest for the dammed. Damned by the reminders of past mistakes, damned by the hollow tedium of today, and damned by the uncertainty of what lies ahead. Or it could be that I’m really just bitter, as someone pointed out not so long ago. Not a bad conclusion, really, with me allowing myself to be consumed by memories of failure, or by the bana

Strange tales

I am aimlessly wandering through cyberspace, looking for things to help pass the time - browser games, blogs, poems, manga - waiting for the dismissal bell to ring. Deadline's almost over, and all that's left to do are some late revisions. Two days more 'til Friday. Yes, I am counting, and I am looking forward to doing something different for a change. Something to break the sad, bland routine of my life. I say thanks in advance to that brave soul who's never seen me but was nice enough to agree to wait an extra four hours just to watch a movie with me. Just please, please, please don't kill me. ----------- How's this for strange: along my boredom-induced travels in the web, I have met someone who's almost completely like S - entirely by accident. I meant to never write anything - even the smallest thing - about her ever again, but this is just too richly entertaining to pass up. They look the same, think the same, were born the same month, have almost the

Judge the movie by its trailer

I am totally beside myself after watching the trailer for Ghost Rider . Never mind the technical errors such as Blackheart being described as "the son of the devil himself" - when he's just Mephisto's son, or that a part of the trailer that is - if I'm not mistaken - grammatically incorrect, or at least could be written better. I still can't wait to see the 1337 leather jacket and 1337 chain, the 1337 bike, and the h0t Eva Mendes. The flaming skull-head could use a bit more work though. Nevertheless, I'm quite sure that I'm going to be one of those lining up to see it come February next year. On a different note, The Devil Wears Prada looks quite promising. Meryl Streep as a soft spoken (in the trailer, at least) but very b*tchy cutthroat EIC for a fashion magazine and Anne Hathaway as her un-fashionable assistant might be the low-of-lows plot wise, but it's the possibility of great, not to mention amusing, perfomances from the actors that I