It been quite a long time since I was last gripped by WOT fever, but today I find myself jittery and excited over the paperback edition of Book 11, The Knife of Dreams, that's scheduled to come out this October. Its almost 5 months away and I'm excited already. They say somebody's going to lose a hand and somebody's coming back from the dead. Yes, I know I could have just downloaded an e-book, but I'm a purist. There's nothing like holding a good thick book in your hands and feeling your heart beat faster every time you turn a page. Of course, it helps that Orbit is publishing the paperback edition - I don't have to worry about TOR's crappy binding, though I'd still buy it if it were a TOR book.
Here are a few of my favorite quotes from the series:
"Death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain." - Borderland saying
"Sa souv'raya niende misain ye" (I am lost in my own mind) - Mat Cauthon
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain" (It's time to roll the dice) - Mat Cauthon
“But trust is the color of a dark seed growing. Trust is the color of a heart's blood flowing. Trust is the color of a soul's last breath. Trust is the color of death.” - ancient song
“The Creator made women to please the eye and trouble the mind.” - saying in the Two Rivers
“Often you don't know whether a woman is friend, enemy, or lover until it is too late. Sometimes, she is all three.” - Thom Merrilin
“For the young, death is an enemy they wish to try their strength against. For those of us a little older, she is an old friend, an old lover, but one we are not eager to meet again soon.” - Rhuarc
“I will hate the man you choose because he is not me, and love him if he makes you smile.” - Lan Mandragoran, to Nynaeve al'Meara
“If it hurts too much, make it hurt someone else instead.” - Lews Therin Telamon
“There are only two times a woman admits she is wrong: when she wants something and when it snows at midsummer.” - Mat Cauthon
On a different note, here's something from a Peyups.com post by cerridwen, who in turn copied this from a friendster bulletin board post:
Five women you dont want to be in a relationship with:
1) Chronic Cheater - Never date a chronic cheater. Even though attraction has a lot to do with whether a woman cheats on you or not (a woman will be less likely to cheat on you if she's CRAZY about you), some women are more prone to cheating. It's just in their DNA/ character and they can't help it. The moment you turn your back on her and a hot stud (or even a not-so-hot guy) walks by, she's going to want him. Remember my rules on dealing with cheaters in a long- term relationship. First strike, you can give her another chance if you're feeling forgiving. Second strike and she's out of your life permanently, because the fact that she has cheated on you AGAIN proves that you've already made the mistake the first time.
2) Golddigger - Call me a cheapskate, but never spend more than $40 on a date. A woman should offer to pay half of the time. And if she dares to ask you to buy her expensive things, it's time to lay the smack down and throw her out.
3) Baggage Girl - Baggage girls are even worse than golddiggers. Golddiggers take your money, which you could always earn back by working hard and working smart. But baggage girls drain you of your energy until you end up feeling depressed like her. Forget about playing the therapist or "saving" the girl you like. You're her BOYFRIEND, not her "therapist" or "vent outlet". Remember what I always say: Relationships are ALREADY hard enough to sustain with a "healthy" woman, so dating a woman with a lot of emotional baggage is like ASKING FOR TROUBLE. It's like carrying a rigged time bomb around your pocket, not knowing when it will explode.
4) Self-Proclaimed Princess - The self-proclaimed princess is a spoiled little brat who is too used to getting everything (and anything) she wants in life. Rich parents, good looks, plenty of suitors to appease her. She breaks a nail and she wants you to drive her to the nail salon immediately. Cooking and doing house chores are out of the question for her. She just wants to sit there and be pampered to death. You can date a princess if she is flexible and WILLING to fit herself into YOUR world. But if she doesn't, then it's time to kick her into the air, back to the top of the castle tower where she belongs. By the way, here's a side tip: Never date a woman whose father calls her 'Princess.' Chances are she believes it.
5) Chronic B*tch - Women that are negative about everything in life are deadly. They argue about EVERYTHING and once married, their favorite hobby is making their men feel guilty. Here's how to test if a woman is a chronic: If you hear ANY negative comment from her about ANYTHING on a first date, it's a sign she has a lot of bent-up anger inside her. Run the other way.