Skip to main content

One man's toxic waste is another man's potpourri. - The Grinch

I am really, really, really Grinch-y right now.

The holidays may be about good cheer, but hell, there are no rainbows and sunshine and Santa Claus. Not today there isn't.

What's so razzle dazzle about Christmas anyway? The season, I mean. If not for the 13th month pay and the Christmas bonuses for some lucky bastards (not like me), I say do away with it completely.

Yes, I know Christ was born on Christmas day (or at least the date symbolizes the day), but the whole "He died for the sins of the world" seems to have been swallowed up by the whole "Santa gimme a present!" mentality. I mean, since I can remember, people've abbreviated Christmas as "X-mas." Giving and loving my ass. That Christ, the Son of God, the Savior of Mankind, has been now reduced to an "X", that just says it all.

The avarice never ends! "I want golf clubs. I want diamonds. I want a pony so I can ride it twice, get bored and sell it to make glue." Look, I don't wanna make waves, but this *whole* Christmas season is stupid, stupid, stupid! - The Grinch

People crawl out of whatever hole they've been living in for the past year to flock to the malls and all sorts of crimminals start to be extra hardworking - if it's even possible for them to be MORE on the prawl - "Kailangan may pang noche buena!" Never mind if they steal it (or kill) off some REAL hardworking person. "Basta, kailangan masarap ang kakainin ko sa pasko!"

I'm not being pessimistic here, this is just how things stand. (On a side note - I think I'm more of a realist rather than a pessimist.) Yes, people get to see loved ones they haven't seen for a while during Christmastime, but if they really wanted to make time, it needn't be at the end of the year.

-------------

Christmas party - an "ugh" rather than a "yay".

There is nothing about doing a 7-minute number from "High School Musical" that I find even remotely attractive. Watching a few clips was enough to tell me that it was just another teenybopperish piece of crap - with music.

High school? Musical? That's just wrong.

Now, why the hell would I want to do a dance number - Enrique Iglesia's 'Escape' of all things - inspired by it?

I'm gonna die. I'm gonna throw up, then I'm gonna die. - The Grinch

I don't care if you wanna par-tayh!, just gimme my 13th month pay and leave me in peace.

-------------

Tonight I Can Write
Pablo Neruda (translated by W.S. Merwin)


Tonight I can write the saddest lines.

Write, for example, 'The night is starry
and the stars are blue and shiver in the distance.'

The night wind revolves in the sky and sings.

Tonight I can write the saddest lines.
I loved her, and sometimes she loved me too.

Through nights like this one I held her in my arms.
I kissed her again and again under the endless sky.

She loved me, sometimes I loved her too.
How could one not have loved her great still eyes.

Tonight I can write the saddest lines.
To think that I do not have her. To feel that I have lost her.

To hear the immense night, still more immense without her.
And the verse falls to the soul like dew to the pasture.

What does it matter that my love could not keep her.
The night is starry and she is not with me.

This is all. In the distance someone is singing. In the distance.
My soul is not satisfied that it has lost her.

My sight tries to find her as though to bring her closer.
My heart looks for her, and she is not with me.

The same night whitening the same trees.
We, of that time, are no longer the same.

I no longer love her, that's certain, but how I loved her.
My voice tried to find the wind to touch her hearing.

Another's. She will be another's. As she was before my kisses.
Her voice, her bright body. Her infinite eyes.

I no longer love her, that's certain, but maybe I love her.
Love is so short, forgetting is so long.

Because through nights like this one I held her in my arms
my soul is not satisfied that it has lost her.

Though this be the last pain that she makes me suffer
and these the last verses that I write for her.

-------------

Because this is one of my favorite poems by one of my favorite poets of all time and because I'm an ugly, cheesy sap, and enough is enough.

-------------

Blast this Christmas music. It's joyful and triumphant. - The Grinch

Comments

yo! said…
what's so wrong with high school musical? :( LOL. RENT! :D

you're not ugly, but i don't know about the cheesy sap. LOL :peace:
Tim said…
its high school, and its a musical. they just don't go together. and you know i just abhor teeneybopper-ish crap.

looks are relative. ^_^
yo! said…
so you dislike teenagers in general then? LOL

relative it is. i still don't find you ugly though. :P

i want a 13th month pay! hahaha.

Popular posts from this blog

Strange tales

I am aimlessly wandering through cyberspace, looking for things to help pass the time - browser games, blogs, poems, manga - waiting for the dismissal bell to ring. Deadline's almost over, and all that's left to do are some late revisions. Two days more 'til Friday. Yes, I am counting, and I am looking forward to doing something different for a change. Something to break the sad, bland routine of my life. I say thanks in advance to that brave soul who's never seen me but was nice enough to agree to wait an extra four hours just to watch a movie with me. Just please, please, please don't kill me. ----------- How's this for strange: along my boredom-induced travels in the web, I have met someone who's almost completely like S - entirely by accident. I meant to never write anything - even the smallest thing - about her ever again, but this is just too richly entertaining to pass up. They look the same, think the same, were born the same month, have almost the

No Rest for the Damned

I stare at the blinking cursor in front of me and wonder what’s next. I let myself get swallowed up by the monotony of office life: wake up, eat, travel, work, sleep; I try to revel in its off-white walls and the cacophony of voices that course through my head like nails scratching a blackboard. Funny, that word – blackboard – like my mood, black and bored, or better yet, like me – a black board. But the human tendency for self-preservation drives me to find things to fill the void; sometimes with fleeting trifles I try in vain to attach meanings to, or sometimes with things intangible and profound, like hope, or faith. But it seems that there is no rest for the dammed. Damned by the reminders of past mistakes, damned by the hollow tedium of today, and damned by the uncertainty of what lies ahead. Or it could be that I’m really just bitter, as someone pointed out not so long ago. Not a bad conclusion, really, with me allowing myself to be consumed by memories of failure, or by the bana

Judge the movie by its trailer

I am totally beside myself after watching the trailer for Ghost Rider . Never mind the technical errors such as Blackheart being described as "the son of the devil himself" - when he's just Mephisto's son, or that a part of the trailer that is - if I'm not mistaken - grammatically incorrect, or at least could be written better. I still can't wait to see the 1337 leather jacket and 1337 chain, the 1337 bike, and the h0t Eva Mendes. The flaming skull-head could use a bit more work though. Nevertheless, I'm quite sure that I'm going to be one of those lining up to see it come February next year. On a different note, The Devil Wears Prada looks quite promising. Meryl Streep as a soft spoken (in the trailer, at least) but very b*tchy cutthroat EIC for a fashion magazine and Anne Hathaway as her un-fashionable assistant might be the low-of-lows plot wise, but it's the possibility of great, not to mention amusing, perfomances from the actors that I