Skip to main content

Fragments

Of late, my brain has not been in tip-top shape so I've put off posting entries (for a readerless blog anyways); my writing's worse as it is without me having to further embarrass myself by putting up half-wit posts.

Here are some remotely interesting things that have happened recently:

One:
I just got my driver's license recently. You just gotta love red tape. For a thousand bucks, you get the fastest service possible FROM THE GOVERNMENT. Following this, I've subsequently tried driving around the metropolis a few times and have had recurring nightmares of uncouth drivers, stupid pedestrians, traffic jams on inclined roads, and parking spaces.

Two:
I'm beta testing for the Closed Beta Test of Granado Espada, a massively-multiplayer online role-playing game. It's cool so far, but I've yet to see whether the local distributors will make it free-to-pay or not before I decide to commit to playing it long-term.

Three:
After much internal deliberation, I have decided to take Conrad de Quiros' word for it and vote the people from Kapatiran -- Martin Bautista, Adrian Sison, and Zozimo Paredes -- into the Senate. They may be political nobodies, but I'd rather vote people like them who go out on a limb by themselves rather than folks who spend millions of pesos on stupid name-recall advertisments. Self-styled "independents" are also no-good; independent my ass -- try campaigning without selling your famous wife and children, and maybe I'll take a "note" of it.

Four:
Some people at a local magazine have been nice enough to let me try and write for them part-time. If everything pans out, April is going to be a nice month for me after all.

Five:
Sosy coffee is overrated and over-priced besides. Dunkin Doughnut's brew still tastes better; what's more, it doesn't have a hefty price tag.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photo post

Random shot of the day:


In lieu of my very erratic posting, I've decided to keep this blog (and the connecting one in Multiply as well) alive by posting a shot from my library from time to time. I might also post a short vignette inspired the photo as long as I have the inspiration and the brain power for it.

New Year, new post. LOL.

I suddenly feel compelled all of a sudden to post something in lieu of the New Year--which basically only really means a change of date--and I do realize that it's been AGES since I last put something here.

But what a year 2008 was. It was easily one of the most trying for me emotionally--which I will not expound on; the people who know me know what I'm talking about. But I am still thankful for small joys like good chatting days (and there were lots of bad ones too), Hairspray, airsoft, and eat outs with friends.

Basically I start the year feeling like one of those 9 out of 10 Filipinos they've recently put on the news--hopeful. I hope that this year will be a year of better things, of small and big successes.

Right now, I'm starting to dread Monday--and I'm sure many others feel the same--so I'm trying to maximize what's left of my RPG-playing days before I go back to all that work again.

From Slumdog to Millionaire

Slumdog Millionaire has been getting a lot of hype lately, and I, for one, think it deserves it.

Set in the slums of Mumbai, Slumdog Millionaire is, simply, a rags-to-riches story of a boy who went from the shit-diving fanboy (watch the movie and you'll understand) to the 20 million-Rupee winner of the local version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire - and gets the girl of his dreams in the process. And to make it truly Bollywood-grade (it's a British film, BTW), there's a dance scene at the end.

While some may say that the story is something we've all seen before countless times over and over again (yes, the premise is THAT overused), that's entirely beside the point. No idea is new, they say, the key lies in the way something is presented, which makes Slumdog Millionaire stand out from all the rest. The cinematography for one, is great, and for a movie that reminded me so much of the slums of our own Payatas, of the congestion of this sprawling metropolis we call Met…