Skip to main content

Two and counting


I have watched Stranger than Fiction for two straight nights now, and probably will again in the near future. And I just bought the darn movie only this Thursday last.

There's a light but somewhat profound meaning to it; Will Ferrell definitely looks and acts the part of Harold Crick quite well -- a semi-serious role which is a welcome break from the awkward, edgy, and slapstick-ish comedy he's usually type-casted in. I especially liked the screenplay, particularly the long monologue by Emma Thompson at the end. I cannot explain it fully; I can only say that I appreciate the extraordinary brilliance and the profound cheesiness of it all.

And then there's Maggie Gyllenhaal.

I fell in love with her here, with her racerbacks and her black bra straps and her very un-model like body and the absolutely adorable way she says "cookie". I like how she looks so unlike the prevailing benchmarks for beauty these days; while simple and unpretentious, there is a grace to her, a charm that makes you feel comfortable, as if you've known her your whole life. In this movie, at least. I haven't the foggiest idea of how she is in real life, and I really don't care. All I know is that I want to hear her again, saying "cookie", and see her again, with her legs on top Harold's lap while they watch old movies together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Slumdog to Millionaire

Slumdog Millionaire has been getting a lot of hype lately, and I, for one, think it deserves it.

Set in the slums of Mumbai, Slumdog Millionaire is, simply, a rags-to-riches story of a boy who went from the shit-diving fanboy (watch the movie and you'll understand) to the 20 million-Rupee winner of the local version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire - and gets the girl of his dreams in the process. And to make it truly Bollywood-grade (it's a British film, BTW), there's a dance scene at the end.

While some may say that the story is something we've all seen before countless times over and over again (yes, the premise is THAT overused), that's entirely beside the point. No idea is new, they say, the key lies in the way something is presented, which makes Slumdog Millionaire stand out from all the rest. The cinematography for one, is great, and for a movie that reminded me so much of the slums of our own Payatas, of the congestion of this sprawling metropolis we call Met…

One last thing before I hit the sack.

I realize I haven't been posting as much as I want to (ha, Captain Obvious), settling for the occasional photo.

Still, I just want to give out a big thank You to the Guy Upstairs, for blessings and what I pray to be good things to come.

===============

Serendra, on a hot, Saturday afternoon: