Skip to main content

Unfounded sentimentality

Why Did You Mess With Forever
John Mayer


I came by to get my things
Thank you for getting the door
But I don't feel right walking in no more
You think it's cold I did my crying at home
But I'm numb now, I'm numb now

Before I'm on my way
I've one more thing to ask
Was it worth the price you paid
For my never coming back

Why did you mess with forever?
Such a long time to be unkind
Why did you mess with forever?

Don't you call me cruel
Cruel's what you're making me do
I stick to my rules
I'm at odds with me now
So stay, don't go ahead and stay

Before I'm on my way
I've one more thing to ask
Was it worth the price you paid
For my never coming back

Why did you mess with forever?
Such a long time to be unkind
Why did you mess with forever?

You asked to kiss me once goodbye
But you already did
On somebody else's lips

Tell the tiny chemicals
The ones you hold responsible
They lost me
You lost me

Now everything inside me tells me I should run to you and throw my arms around you
Hold your steamin, crying cheek against my own and tell you nothing's wrong
But wrong is what you were when you forgot that
We were going on
We were going on
We were going on

Tell me why did you, why did you mess with forever?
What a long time be unkind
Why did you mess with forever?

====================

I've always liked sad songs. My favorites include the John Mayer song above, and 'I'm Gonna Find Another You', 'Dreaming With a Broken Heart', 'Gravity', 'Daughters', and 'Comfortable', all him as well. Then there's 'Ghost' by the Indigo Girls, and 'Blame it on my Youth', by Jaime Cullum. Among the oldies, there's 'You Don't Know Me' -- I especially favor the Diana Krall and Ray Charles duet, Frank Sinatra's version of 'Didn't We', 'One For My Baby (and One More for the Road)' and 'I Get Along Without You Very Well'. There's more, but these are all that come to mind at the moment.

I really don't know why. Maybe it's because I still fawn over love and relationships like a 15-year old -- and I mean 'a 15-year old' when 15-year olds weren't noisy (at least not as noisy as the ones today, not to mention extremely bad-mouthed), shabbier dressed, and less devious versions of the out-to-get-some-cunt college (and older) boys nowadays.

(Daydream)
(Smacks himself on the head)

Okay, enough with the mush already.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strange tales

I am aimlessly wandering through cyberspace, looking for things to help pass the time - browser games, blogs, poems, manga - waiting for the dismissal bell to ring. Deadline's almost over, and all that's left to do are some late revisions. Two days more 'til Friday. Yes, I am counting, and I am looking forward to doing something different for a change. Something to break the sad, bland routine of my life. I say thanks in advance to that brave soul who's never seen me but was nice enough to agree to wait an extra four hours just to watch a movie with me. Just please, please, please don't kill me. ----------- How's this for strange: along my boredom-induced travels in the web, I have met someone who's almost completely like S - entirely by accident. I meant to never write anything - even the smallest thing - about her ever again, but this is just too richly entertaining to pass up. They look the same, think the same, were born the same month, have almost the

No Rest for the Damned

I stare at the blinking cursor in front of me and wonder what’s next. I let myself get swallowed up by the monotony of office life: wake up, eat, travel, work, sleep; I try to revel in its off-white walls and the cacophony of voices that course through my head like nails scratching a blackboard. Funny, that word – blackboard – like my mood, black and bored, or better yet, like me – a black board. But the human tendency for self-preservation drives me to find things to fill the void; sometimes with fleeting trifles I try in vain to attach meanings to, or sometimes with things intangible and profound, like hope, or faith. But it seems that there is no rest for the dammed. Damned by the reminders of past mistakes, damned by the hollow tedium of today, and damned by the uncertainty of what lies ahead. Or it could be that I’m really just bitter, as someone pointed out not so long ago. Not a bad conclusion, really, with me allowing myself to be consumed by memories of failure, or by the bana

Judge the movie by its trailer

I am totally beside myself after watching the trailer for Ghost Rider . Never mind the technical errors such as Blackheart being described as "the son of the devil himself" - when he's just Mephisto's son, or that a part of the trailer that is - if I'm not mistaken - grammatically incorrect, or at least could be written better. I still can't wait to see the 1337 leather jacket and 1337 chain, the 1337 bike, and the h0t Eva Mendes. The flaming skull-head could use a bit more work though. Nevertheless, I'm quite sure that I'm going to be one of those lining up to see it come February next year. On a different note, The Devil Wears Prada looks quite promising. Meryl Streep as a soft spoken (in the trailer, at least) but very b*tchy cutthroat EIC for a fashion magazine and Anne Hathaway as her un-fashionable assistant might be the low-of-lows plot wise, but it's the possibility of great, not to mention amusing, perfomances from the actors that I