Skip to main content

I was raised to be charming, not sincere! - Prince Charming, after Cinderella finds out his affair with Sleeping Beauty

I’ve always been a big fan of the play—the way it is dynamic and alive (both figuratively and literally), the way it involves the audience in every step and song and dance and line, the way the actor’s voices aren’t just from speakers (Dolby or not, real life is still the best), and the way the scenes aren’t just the best parts cut out and put together in editing from a long timeline of takes one to one hundred.

That being said, I must confess that I haven’t been to a play in ages—the last one, if I remember correctly, was way back in college, and was about a closet gay stuntman whose number one idol in the whole world was Ariel the Little Mermaid. After, academics, girlfriends, breakups, heartaches, Ragnarok and DOTA, and a part-time job got in the way, so I never got to watch another.

I was able to finally rectify that last Friday, thanks to the indomitable Conrad, cartoonist and graphic artist extraordinaire (albeit a very frustrated one), who was kind enough to supply me with a free ticket to ‘Into the Woods’ at the Music Museum.

Of course, Philistine that I am, I had never heard of Sondheim or had even watched a live musical (I saw Rent and Phantom of the Opera on DVD, and Avenue Q on a YouTube bootleg) in my entire life. Of ‘Into the Woods’ I had heard only one song, ‘Last Midnight’—and which was only at the urging of a very excited Conrad, who was ecstatic to know (sometime in September, I think) that his good friend Lynn Sherman would be playing the witch—and well, I wasn’t really impressed. It was sing-song-ish and complicated, and it sounded really old school. But still, a play was a play and I tried to keep an open mind. After all, the ticket was free, and with my job and all, immersing myself in a little culture wouldn’t hurt.

Lynn Sherman as the Witch

It helped that I got to read a few reviews online just before the big night, which were generally good, and so my spirits were lifted up somewhat.

And I wasn’t disappointed. Not in the least.

Sure, it did start out slow, and I’d forgotten how the story of Rapunzel started. And since it was in Greenhills, there was of course the slew of rich folk who constantly conversed in the best English, asking each other things like “How is she? Is she seeing people; does she have a social life?” and so on and so forth. I had never felt more middle-class in my entire life. It was like being flat broke and standing in the middle of a sale.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed myself immensely (the only thing lacking being the company my favorite person). The story picked up and the gossiping socialites, as it turned out, could shut themselves up when the situation called for it. I also found out that the songs weren’t so bad after all, and after awhile, got used to the sing-song-ish-ness of it all. The actors were all stellar, but the ones who played the baker, the baker’s wife, the witch, Little Red Riding Hood, and the older Prince Charming were the ones who stood out the best. It was a great way to end a week filled with tedious deadlines and work-related frustrations.

Michael Williams as the Baker

Julia Abueva as Little Red Riding Hood and Joaqui Valdes as Jack

The cast

I’d say more, but I never was a good reviewer, so it’s back to singing ‘Agony’ in my head again.

Comments

Anonymous said…
since you say it's good, then i'll watch it too. :)
Tim said…
Dapat! Maganda sya.
Anonymous said…
i've seen into the woods.

Popular posts from this blog

Strange tales

I am aimlessly wandering through cyberspace, looking for things to help pass the time - browser games, blogs, poems, manga - waiting for the dismissal bell to ring. Deadline's almost over, and all that's left to do are some late revisions. Two days more 'til Friday. Yes, I am counting, and I am looking forward to doing something different for a change. Something to break the sad, bland routine of my life. I say thanks in advance to that brave soul who's never seen me but was nice enough to agree to wait an extra four hours just to watch a movie with me. Just please, please, please don't kill me. ----------- How's this for strange: along my boredom-induced travels in the web, I have met someone who's almost completely like S - entirely by accident. I meant to never write anything - even the smallest thing - about her ever again, but this is just too richly entertaining to pass up. They look the same, think the same, were born the same month, have almost the

No Rest for the Damned

I stare at the blinking cursor in front of me and wonder what’s next. I let myself get swallowed up by the monotony of office life: wake up, eat, travel, work, sleep; I try to revel in its off-white walls and the cacophony of voices that course through my head like nails scratching a blackboard. Funny, that word – blackboard – like my mood, black and bored, or better yet, like me – a black board. But the human tendency for self-preservation drives me to find things to fill the void; sometimes with fleeting trifles I try in vain to attach meanings to, or sometimes with things intangible and profound, like hope, or faith. But it seems that there is no rest for the dammed. Damned by the reminders of past mistakes, damned by the hollow tedium of today, and damned by the uncertainty of what lies ahead. Or it could be that I’m really just bitter, as someone pointed out not so long ago. Not a bad conclusion, really, with me allowing myself to be consumed by memories of failure, or by the bana

Judge the movie by its trailer

I am totally beside myself after watching the trailer for Ghost Rider . Never mind the technical errors such as Blackheart being described as "the son of the devil himself" - when he's just Mephisto's son, or that a part of the trailer that is - if I'm not mistaken - grammatically incorrect, or at least could be written better. I still can't wait to see the 1337 leather jacket and 1337 chain, the 1337 bike, and the h0t Eva Mendes. The flaming skull-head could use a bit more work though. Nevertheless, I'm quite sure that I'm going to be one of those lining up to see it come February next year. On a different note, The Devil Wears Prada looks quite promising. Meryl Streep as a soft spoken (in the trailer, at least) but very b*tchy cutthroat EIC for a fashion magazine and Anne Hathaway as her un-fashionable assistant might be the low-of-lows plot wise, but it's the possibility of great, not to mention amusing, perfomances from the actors that I