Skip to main content

Trying to be profound


"Realize, then, that impoverishment is also a teacher, unique in its capacity to renew, and that its yield, when it ends, is a passionate openness which in turn re-invests the world with meaning.” - Louse Gluck

I found this quote in Naya's blog, which I visit from time to time, because she is a writer I have great admiration for, and reading her entries shows just how much more of my writerly self I have to improve. Along with Dean and Andrew, these people write about daily life like poetry. I, on the other hand, don't even know if that last sentence even made sense. 

Anyways, I found this quote extremely appropriate for my situation now, even though I have already graduated and have a stable job (the quote is from a graduation address). But it is exactly those things, I think, that made it resound with me so strongly; that despite having a job, I still find myself helpless against the travails of life (to which, most often, the solution is MONEY), struggling to keep up with the ups and downs and requirements of living, of loving and being a lover (albeit a faraway one), waiting for bad times to end, hoping that that end is soon and find myself saying that it was all worth it.

I also think it's true, that coming from the bottom gives you a better appreciation of the things you have and the things you receive, provided that it's not too late. Because it is not unheard of for us, flawed and ungrateful humans that we are, to take the truly good things we have, become used to them in time until they become relegated to the background. It happens, more often than it should, that we fail to see the meaning and value these things (and people) have; and it is often at a fleeting, final moment from which we can never go back--that because of our pride or selfishness or just plain old stupidity, we are again thrown back into the old cesspool we once were in--we truly realize just how much we took it, him or her for granted, how much time we spent chasing after things we thought we needed but really didn't, how much we had.

And how much we lost.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strange tales

I am aimlessly wandering through cyberspace, looking for things to help pass the time - browser games, blogs, poems, manga - waiting for the dismissal bell to ring. Deadline's almost over, and all that's left to do are some late revisions. Two days more 'til Friday. Yes, I am counting, and I am looking forward to doing something different for a change. Something to break the sad, bland routine of my life. I say thanks in advance to that brave soul who's never seen me but was nice enough to agree to wait an extra four hours just to watch a movie with me. Just please, please, please don't kill me. ----------- How's this for strange: along my boredom-induced travels in the web, I have met someone who's almost completely like S - entirely by accident. I meant to never write anything - even the smallest thing - about her ever again, but this is just too richly entertaining to pass up. They look the same, think the same, were born the same month, have almost the

No Rest for the Damned

I stare at the blinking cursor in front of me and wonder what’s next. I let myself get swallowed up by the monotony of office life: wake up, eat, travel, work, sleep; I try to revel in its off-white walls and the cacophony of voices that course through my head like nails scratching a blackboard. Funny, that word – blackboard – like my mood, black and bored, or better yet, like me – a black board. But the human tendency for self-preservation drives me to find things to fill the void; sometimes with fleeting trifles I try in vain to attach meanings to, or sometimes with things intangible and profound, like hope, or faith. But it seems that there is no rest for the dammed. Damned by the reminders of past mistakes, damned by the hollow tedium of today, and damned by the uncertainty of what lies ahead. Or it could be that I’m really just bitter, as someone pointed out not so long ago. Not a bad conclusion, really, with me allowing myself to be consumed by memories of failure, or by the bana

Judge the movie by its trailer

I am totally beside myself after watching the trailer for Ghost Rider . Never mind the technical errors such as Blackheart being described as "the son of the devil himself" - when he's just Mephisto's son, or that a part of the trailer that is - if I'm not mistaken - grammatically incorrect, or at least could be written better. I still can't wait to see the 1337 leather jacket and 1337 chain, the 1337 bike, and the h0t Eva Mendes. The flaming skull-head could use a bit more work though. Nevertheless, I'm quite sure that I'm going to be one of those lining up to see it come February next year. On a different note, The Devil Wears Prada looks quite promising. Meryl Streep as a soft spoken (in the trailer, at least) but very b*tchy cutthroat EIC for a fashion magazine and Anne Hathaway as her un-fashionable assistant might be the low-of-lows plot wise, but it's the possibility of great, not to mention amusing, perfomances from the actors that I