Skip to main content

Short Fiction: This Way Please

(photo by Zer Cabatuan)



In the dream, the old man tells me, “Come in. Come in boy. The show’s just beginning.”

And I do.

The theatre is filled with people, young and old – one child is holding a cotton candy cone in her hand, laughing, giggling; a thirty-something woman sits near the aisle, sobbing; I see a couple kissing in a corner.

At first I don’t get it. The screen is showing nothing but static. When I return to the man outside, he’s smiling. “Don’t like what’s on?”

I say there’s nothing on, but the smile doesn’t fade, and he nods knowingly.

“Ah,” he says, “So we have a realist, eh?” He seems amused and surprised. “Don’t get much of your kind here. The last one to say she was one ended up staying, after all. I think it was a love story, for her. Figures. So just static for you? Nothing? Not even a shadow or something blurred and jagged in the background?”

“No,” I answer.

“So it’s back to the real world in the morning, yes? Same as always?” Asks the old man, who has, from somewhere, pulled out two mugs of steaming coffee. He hands me one. He gestures for me to join him on the bench where he's sitting, and I oblige.

“Same as always,” I say. The coffee is black, with just the right amount of sweetness. “Good coffee,” I tell him.

“Ha! At least I did something right by you. I reckon you’ve just realized what this place is, eh, boy?”

I nod.

He sighs. “Ever since the beginning of time, I’ve been here. I’ve lost count of how many people have gone in. You though, are a rare specimen. If I remember correctly, you’re, hmmm… three thousand seven hundred and seventy five.”

“Three thousand seven hundred and seventy five is a lot,” I retort.

“Not when you’ve been around here for as long as I have. We used to have plays and dances around bonfires and things like that, but you’ve gotta move along with the times, right? So it’s the big screen now, all modern and spiffy, with popcorn and cotton candy and soda and everything.”

“Do they ever come back?” I ask. “Will I?”

He gestures dismissively. “Oh, don’t worry about yourself. You’ll be back before you even finish your coffee. Them,” he says, jerking a thumb towards the curtained entrance, “sometimes they do and sometimes they don’t. For some people it’s better in here, y’know? Better than out there. I think even you understand.”

I nod again in agreement.

He pats me, father-like, on the back. “Well, better get going, boy, and good luck to ‘ya. You need it, you know. Everyone out there does. And thanks for sticking around, it’s not often someone I can chat with comes along. They usually just head on inside and that’s the last I hear of them. You’d think it was too much to just pop a ‘hi there’ to an old man. God knows I need the company.”

I shake my head. “Me? I hardly said a word. And no one comes here? No one?”

He shrugs. “Nope, not really. Ol’ Grim comes around sometimes, but you know, he’s not one to talk. All action, that guy. Dunno what he does inside though. But I’m sure as hell it ain't official business. I guess even guys like him need a break sometimes. Tough job, that. This here job is eons better than what he has on his plate.”

I then realize that I’m beginning to fade away – I’m translucent from the knee down. I set the coffee mug on a nearby table. “I’m sorry if I wasn’t much conversation.”

“Nah, don’t sweat it boy. I reckon guys like you are my break, and I appreciate it, even if it was just for awhile. Well, hope you visit again sometime, and if you’re going in for the long haul, don’t forget to give this old man a hello.” He waves. “Remember boy, nothing bad in coming back and staying.”

I wave goodbye, and then with those last words echoing in my head, I wake up.

(This post was originally posted on the Hump [thehumpday.wordpress.com] last August 5, 2009).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strange tales

I am aimlessly wandering through cyberspace, looking for things to help pass the time - browser games, blogs, poems, manga - waiting for the dismissal bell to ring. Deadline's almost over, and all that's left to do are some late revisions. Two days more 'til Friday. Yes, I am counting, and I am looking forward to doing something different for a change. Something to break the sad, bland routine of my life. I say thanks in advance to that brave soul who's never seen me but was nice enough to agree to wait an extra four hours just to watch a movie with me. Just please, please, please don't kill me. ----------- How's this for strange: along my boredom-induced travels in the web, I have met someone who's almost completely like S - entirely by accident. I meant to never write anything - even the smallest thing - about her ever again, but this is just too richly entertaining to pass up. They look the same, think the same, were born the same month, have almost the

No Rest for the Damned

I stare at the blinking cursor in front of me and wonder what’s next. I let myself get swallowed up by the monotony of office life: wake up, eat, travel, work, sleep; I try to revel in its off-white walls and the cacophony of voices that course through my head like nails scratching a blackboard. Funny, that word – blackboard – like my mood, black and bored, or better yet, like me – a black board. But the human tendency for self-preservation drives me to find things to fill the void; sometimes with fleeting trifles I try in vain to attach meanings to, or sometimes with things intangible and profound, like hope, or faith. But it seems that there is no rest for the dammed. Damned by the reminders of past mistakes, damned by the hollow tedium of today, and damned by the uncertainty of what lies ahead. Or it could be that I’m really just bitter, as someone pointed out not so long ago. Not a bad conclusion, really, with me allowing myself to be consumed by memories of failure, or by the bana

Judge the movie by its trailer

I am totally beside myself after watching the trailer for Ghost Rider . Never mind the technical errors such as Blackheart being described as "the son of the devil himself" - when he's just Mephisto's son, or that a part of the trailer that is - if I'm not mistaken - grammatically incorrect, or at least could be written better. I still can't wait to see the 1337 leather jacket and 1337 chain, the 1337 bike, and the h0t Eva Mendes. The flaming skull-head could use a bit more work though. Nevertheless, I'm quite sure that I'm going to be one of those lining up to see it come February next year. On a different note, The Devil Wears Prada looks quite promising. Meryl Streep as a soft spoken (in the trailer, at least) but very b*tchy cutthroat EIC for a fashion magazine and Anne Hathaway as her un-fashionable assistant might be the low-of-lows plot wise, but it's the possibility of great, not to mention amusing, perfomances from the actors that I